Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pope Francis - the Gospel in Greek - Rev. Deacon Valter Volochen

A video on YouTube of Reverend Deacon Valter Volochen, Stamford Eparchy, proclaiming the Holy Gospel in Greek at the Inaugural Mass of the Pontificate of Pope Francis at the Vatican on March 19, 2013. 
http://youtu.be/GX6ryfXdXrA


-------------------------


Here is an excerpt from an article in "Sower" where Reverend Deacon Valter Volochen spoke about his call to the priesthood.

Upon much reflection on my call to the priesthood, I entered the novitiate of the Basilian Fathers in Ivai, and, in 2003, I was invited to come to the United States to study at St. Josaphat Monastery, in Glen Cove, NY. In that same year, I was accepted by Bishop Basil Losten to pursue my philosophical studies at St. Basil College Seminary in Stamford, CT. After my graduation in 2007, Bishop Paul P. Chomnysky, OSBM sent me to Rome, Italy, to receive my theological education at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (Angelicum). Residing at the Pontifical Greek College of St. Athanasius, in Rome, I am currently pursuing a licentiate degree in Moral Theology at the Alphonsian Academy, a Graduate Institute of Moral Theology.

As a child, during a catechetical education session, I was asked what I would like to do as an adult. I quickly gave the answer “I would like to be a priest,” without realizing how important my answer was. Some years later, I felt God calling me in different ways, through different people and events in my life, especially by the good example of my parish priest. During my years at the minor seminary, I was exposed to the spiritual and liturgical life of the Byzantine Church. This experience inspired me to enter the monastic life, where my vocation to the priesthood was nourished.

During the past years, my spiritual journey has been enriched and strengthened by my seminary formation and my ordination to the Minor Orders, in 2009. As I am ordained to the Order of Deacon, on the Feast of the Protection of the Holy Theotokos, this October 2011, and reflect on my life and vocation, I realize how many blessings and how much joy and fulfillment my answer to God’s call has brought to my life.

I pray that the Holy Spirit continue guiding my steps as I minister to God’s people in the Eparchy of Stamford, and that the Lord send more laborers for the harvest, for “the harvest is great and the workers are few.” 

You can read more on Reverend Deacon Valter Volochen on page 4 of the October 23, 2011 issue of "Sower." http://stamforddio.org/wa_files/Sower_20October_202011.pdf

No comments:

Site Meter